AUT wins trans Tasman journalism awards

08 Dec, 2009

The talents of AUT journalism students have been recognised with two wins at the 2009 Ossie Awards for Student Journalism.

Krista Ferguson has won the category for best print news story and Te Waha Nui, the newspaper produced by AUT journalism students, has taken the prize for best regular student publication.

Krista story 'Charities Find Dance Flaw' was published in the Sunday Star-Times and Sunday News, August 16, 2009.

The judges called it a well-researched article that required persistence and determination to reveal the extent of overhead charges that eat into donations to charities made using text messages or telephone calls in New Zealand.

“Sharp and tightly written, it revealed that charities received 60 per cent of the money pledged to contestants in Dancing with the Stars in New Zealand - the other 40 per cent went to the telephone and vote-tallying companies involved. An accompanying fact box provided an easy to read and simple display of how much each contestant raised and the eroded amount passed on to charity.”

This is the second recent journalism win for Krista who also won the 2009 Statistics New Zealand Student Journalism Award.

The best regular student publication winner Te Waha Nui was edited this year by Jessie Colquhoun. The judges called it a very lively newspaper that satisfies its readers with a full range of stories and images that entertain, inform and challenge their thinking.

“Te Waha Nui blends good news reporting with extensively researched and edgy features, reflective profiles plus unpredictable photographic essays. It smartly cross promotes its online and print offerings to maximise reader engagement. Each issue reflects high production values, energetic teamwork and considerable talent.

The annual awards, named after journalist Osmar S. White, are organised by the Journalism Education Association of Australia and are judged by media executives in Australia and New Zealand. Prizes are awarded in 15 categories for news and feature writing, current affairs reporting and student publications.

Website search